Friday, January 21, 2011

Blog 15- What I Can Do

I fully realize that I am just one person. Realistically, I cannot change how everyone views issues that we have studied in this class. However, I can influence the people around me. I want to be more mindful of issues such as ableism because it was not something I gave too much thought before this class. I realized there was inequality yet I did not think of it too much. Honestly, this could be because I was afraid to see how privileged I am just because of the groups society puts us in. I do not see too much discrimination but if I were to see this in the future my eyes will be opened to it. I will speak up because I realized how much of an impact discrimination has now. Before, I knew about racism but the other -isms were not too familiar to me so I will be more mindful of that.

I figure if I am not a negative participant in society, notice these issues, and not stand by and just go with the majority then I will make a difference. I have already brought up things I have learned from class with friends and many of them were surprised to learn how privileged we are, even if we don’t necessarily feel it. I am realistic, at some point in my life I will probably run into people who are in denial but I feel as though this class has given me information to speak my mind. If this class has taught me one thing, not matter our differences we are all the same and mainly want the same things. I know that sounds cliché but after some thought age, sexual orientation, race, etc. do not matter. If anything is to change we all have to work for it, not just one segment of people.

3 comments:

  1. Yup, I also did not really think about the other "-isms"...maybe because they did not really affect me too much...like ageism, but I know that just ignoring the problem won't do anything. I am aware of how it affects people, and now if I didn't say anything I would feel really guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before taking this class I never looked much into any -ism's other than racism and sexism and now its crazy how much negativity there is today. I completely agree that now i'm going to be more aware of oppression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really considered many of the isms either, especially ableism. I think it is important that we voice these issues, now that we have been given the opportunity to understand more about the various forms of oppression, we should help others understand too.

    ReplyDelete