Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog 3

I never really thought about it in terms of class, however, I feel like I may have been privileged just by being able to live in a normal size house. I never really gave it much thought but I have never had to deal with downsizing to a smaller house or anything like that.  In that case, I'm more advantaged than some.

One time I was at a friends house.  I only met his parents a couple times before and immediately I realized he came from a family with some money, or at least that's how it seemed.  I felt a little disadvantaged just by the way they acted.  They weren't stuck up or anything but I quickly got the sense that I came from a solid middle-class family and his family had just a little more. It was enough to see a difference though.

In high school some kids were made fun of because of the town they were from.  As a high school kid I kind of went along with the crowd but mostly I was just quiet because I didn't want to seem like I was sympathizing with them. I wanted to fit in.  I feel bad now but I didn't fully realize what I was doing at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment