Monday, January 17, 2011

Transgender Women

Going into reading Julia Serano’s piece, “Trans Woman Manifesto” and the film Beautiful Daughters, I did not know a lot about transgender people at all. The one thing that truly impacted me was the fact that these women did not identify themselves as men, even before they transitioned. While in hindsight I was thinking very stereotypical, I used to think transgender women were mostly gay men who wanted to be in a heterosexual relationship with a man. I know now I was participating in traditional sexism because I was associating with the male aspect of the situation. I subconsciously identified with the male qualities, which leads one to the false notion that masculinity is superior. Now I know that these women certainly did not want to transition just on a sexual desire. They felt and identified as women even though, according to societal norms, they were considered men. The line from Beautiful Daughters, “A wrong was righted” seems to be right on. These “internal” women were able to manifest into women in an outward form.

Overall, I think cisgender people must accept trans women as equals and come to accept the person for who they are. I find it difficult to deny someone their gender identity that they have clearly embraced. I would not call a trans woman “he” even though it may honestly be a little awkward depending on the stage of transition the person is in. If everyone were to throw out what is considered “normal” then I think transgender people will be able to fight transphobia.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you can admit how you first saw transgender people, and then explain how you feel after truly learning about these people. I agree, and think that everyone needs to be accepted as equal. I think the first step to that is education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you, didn't know much about transgender people-especially trans gender woman before this unit. Whenever I though of transgender, I never really thought of the women who fell into this category too. I read in another post that transgender women had it easier in the workplace, but I think they have it much harder in other areas of life. It made me so sad, that so many trans women in the film Beautiful Daughters were afraid they would never find someone to love them. I'm glad that all of these women were able to find a support system through the Vagina Monlogues. I think, with more films, writings and perfomances about any type of discriminating issue-people will eventually become more accepting of everyone in our society.

    ReplyDelete