Friday, January 14, 2011

How is "Whip My Hair" an Issue?

I think at this point Willow Smith may be the best role model for young girls there is. Before her who was the main role model? Oh yeah, Miley Cyrus.  Enough said, she practically stripteases at award shows and allows herself to be filmed smoking (a legal substance) out of a bong. As far as the lyrics and video goes I think it would be a HUGE stretch to say that there is a sexualness about it. If she were to throw her head back or make a face suggesting sexuality I would say that's an issue but she really doesn't. Even though this song is not targeted toward me it seems like it is more about empowerment. Girls can "whip their hair" no matter what type of hair they have. The video doesn't sexualize whipping the hair. However, I get that whipping your hair could be looked at as a form of showing sexual pleasure but I think that would be a very perverse way of looking at a young girls song. I think that the nedia is dying for controversy that we try to make things something they are not. I think race is an issue but, at its core, it seems about equality. Young girls, no matter what, can "whip their hair." It is another form of showing equality, yet I may be reading into a pop song too much. She wasn't even wearing anything I'd consider close to provocative so all in all I think that the video is something positive for younger girls. I don't even remember seeing a man or woman dancing in a way that could be considered sexual or as a bad influence.

2 comments:

  1. I see your side but think there is more to the other side of the debate as well. Look at the comments on this site, many from concerned moms:
    http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2010/10/whip-my-hair-for-your-weekend-enjoyment/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say Tom I agree with you with a lot of your points. There's so many more worse videos out there then this I and believe more is being made out of this video then there is. I don't see anything sexual from the video or the lyrics and the girl is covered up mostly. Yea she's young but our society and culture has changed so much that it's apart of our pop culture.

    ReplyDelete